Saturday, December 4, 2010

Winter Blues?

Date: 4 December 2010
Day of Chronicles: 21

Hours: 2:00-3:45pm, 4:30-7:15pm
Rides Given: 5


Today I made the mistake of getting all googly-eyed over the potential bonanza of a Saturday during the Christmas season, and hit the streets at the excessively early hour of 2:00pm. Ugh! I got one ride, from 6th Avenue in the 30s up to 14 West 57th, and then nothing for the next hour. So I went home, cogitated in my journal, ate lunch, ate crack, listened to "Children of the Lord" (by Slim Cessna's Auto Club) at top volume, and - pumped up by the crack and the music - went out again. 

4:30-6:00pm was pretty good. I took three ladies to the tree, then a single lady crosstown on 53d Street, and then - wonder of wonders - a mother in Times Square flagged me down to take her three kids to their home at 57th and Park. She entrusted me with her children! She wasn't even in the cab with them - she gave them money to pay me when we got there. I have to say, I was flattered. 

Later on I unwittingly gave a ride to more than three people - I didn't notice till the family was getting out at Bryant Park that there were two small children, not one. (The second child was very small.) I'm glad I didn't know. If I had I would have been anxious. As it was, I was just workin' hard to carry the weight. 

So. Still in the doldrums, despite no plastic affixed to the cabin today. Just not very jazzed. Perhaps my verve will return, and perhaps it won't. Perhaps pedicabbing, like running, is only fun for me after I haven't done it in a while. 

T+T+O+T+O

No comments:

Post a Comment