Thursday, November 11, 2010

Best Thursday Ever!

Date: 11 November 2010
Day of Chronicles: 13
Hours: 4:15-8:30pm
Rides Given: 6

Wow! What a whirlwind! Pretty slow till about 5:00pm, then I drove a semi-catatonic dude from Herald Square to Hell's Kitchen. After that I whisked two little girls and a dad from lower Times Square to Macy's, a British-sounding chap from Herald Square to Sardi's, two extra large New Jersey ladies from Penn Station to Stub Hub (40th & Broadway), a couple from Penn Station to "the cube" at Astor Place, and a single lady from 28th & 6th to 28th & 11th.

Just as I was dropping my passenger off in front of Sardi's (yes, this passenger, who'd ridden a pedicab once before, in Beijing, did give the most generous tip of the night), a police officer popped out of nowhere and asked to see my "DCA license." Then he checked my blinkers (I had - oops! - left one on after turning onto 44th Street from Broadway, but he didn't seem to mind that - he just wanted to make sure they were both working), and told me I was "looking good." "I pass muster, then?" I said, trying to get a smile out of him. He did agree, but did not smile, and away I drove.

I was not feeling Penn Station tonight. I made one attempt at each line, failed utterly each time, and decided to do the up 6th/down 7th thing instead. That was dandy. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to work a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment