Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween, Part II

Date: 31 October 2010
Day of Chronicles: 9
Hours: 9:00pm-12:00am
Rides Given: 3

The Halloween parade did not yield infinite riches, to say the least. However, there were substantial crowds on 7th Avenue (where I picked up all three of my fares). It just seems you need the confluence of gobs of people partying all night (because it's Saturday night) and the parade, to create a pedicab bonanza. Maybe in 2015 we'll see that again....

I was pleased to have my last set of passengers duck under the police tape on 7th Ave to get into my pedicab. It's nice to feel wanted, you know? Wonderful when someone yells, "Pedicab! Pedicab!" and comes running over. (Every once in a while I get a little taste of what it must be like to drive a taxi....)

Tonight's best passenger costume was probably the green-eyed, blue-faced Avatar I took to Crimson, at 21st & Broadway. She and her girlfriend were both from the Bronx, hadn't taken a pedicab before, exclaimed repeatedly how much fun they were having - and screeched, as I turned onto 6th Avenue from 18th Street, "You ate the light!" (I swear, it was yellow when I started.) 

So...this Halloween did not in any way live up to the expectations I'd formed, in the wake of last Halloween. But I survived. And gained competence and confidence. Every ride I give, every night I go out, I feel surer that I can make a living, and contribute to my city, by triking.

No comments:

Post a Comment