Friday, October 22, 2010

Hell Yeah!

Date: 22 October 2010
Day of Chronicles: 6
Hours: 5:00-9:15pm
Rides Given: 7


Today's tasks were: To contribute as much as I could (in the way of transportation for those seeking it), to learn as much as I could, and to appear as innocent as possible.

Why this last? Because the police are on a pedicab-ticketing tear. I've not been pulled over yet, but yesterday a policewoman reprimanded a passenger of mine for allowing a limb or two to breach the bounds of the passenger seat, and today a policeman pointedly asked me, on 5th Avenue between 57th & 56th, whether I'd just made a turn. I hadn't - I'd simply had a hard time crossing 57th Street, and gotten stuck north of the crosswalk till the light changed - and I suppose he believed me, because (after repeating the question a couple times) he nodded and moved on. Not sure if he was trying to get me for turning south from 57th Street, or for not having my blinker on. Either way - I really was innocent (that time)!

My best passengers of the night were two ladies (visiting from Maryland, I think) whom I picked up at the northeast corner of 8th & 31st. I said sure I'd take them to 57th Street, but they didn't have cash, so I moved on. And then, thirty seconds later, they came running over and asked if it would work for us to stop at an ATM. One of them said she'd always wanted to take a pedicab, but hadn't yet had a chance. (That, I must say, was a heartening thing to hear.) As we drove up 6th Avenue, the two of them (being young, attractive, vivacious, and very well put-together) were getting (and returning) shout-outs from passersby, taking in the sights, and generally enjoying the heck out of their experience in an open-air conveyance. Bet that part of their NYC experience is gonna make it into a status update....

Tonight, for perhaps the first time, I convinced a couple very reluctant people to take a ride (often I do take no for answer). I just kept talking till they got in. However: Their getting in was a mixed blessing, since they ended up aborting the ride less than halfway to their purported destination. Oh well. A couple blocks farther down 7th Avenue I picked up a much more willing couple heading (they thought) to Soho (really they wanted to go to 12 East 12th Street, which is, ahem and thank my lucky stars, not as far).

Another first: I plucked a passenger from the 7th Avenue side of Penn Station. Last night a woman approached me, on that side, asking for a ride - but tonight was the first time I mustered the courage to solicit the line. I found a brave lady heading to 186 Avenue B (which happens to be just next door to Gruppo, one of the restaurants Revolution Rickshaws makes regular deliveries to). I told her $25, she balked, I said $20, she said okay, she gave me $30 when we got there. And enjoyed herself thoroughly, as far as I could tell. "It's so ecological!" she said, as we rolled down 5th Avenue.

There are more stories I could tell (the more rides I give the more stories I gather) but I am tired, and starving, and ready to head home. Stay tuned for the next episode: Halloween weekend! Yippee-yee-yi-yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment