Friday, October 1, 2010

The Little Underbidder Who Could

Date: 1 October 2010
Day of Chronicles: 2
Hours: 4:15-8:00pm
Rides Given: 5

After circling for an hour, I picked up two Catholic priests (from Mexico, currently stationed in Jerusalem, dressed in official black, with the white collar and everything) at Forty-Seventh and Sixth. How much to go to the Met, they asked. Twenty bucks, I said, just wanting to get in the game and not exactly sure (I'm ashamed to say) where the Met was.

A half hour later, when the priests exited, the larger one said, "We had no idea how far it was!"

That made three of us.

Now I know: Eighty-Second and Fifth. Two not-so-gentle hills. In the future, that will not be a twenty-dollar ride.

However: The upside of the ordeal is that I am now confident that I can haul two men, one hefty, the other slender, from Midtown to the Met.

Which came in handy later in the evening, when a dude at Thirty-Fourth and Sixth, headed with his date to a sake bar in Union Square, tried to put me off by saying, "You don't want to pedal that far!"

"Are you kidding?" I said, "I just took two guys up to the Met, a couple hours ago! Come on, live a little!"

They got in. When I dropped them off, they marveled at what great exercise it must be. "You don't even have to work out!"

Damn straight! And what doesn't defeat me makes me stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment